The following content may be sponsored or include affiliate links. View full disclosure.
In my opinion, Trottole is the BEST pasta for making homemade mac & cheese. Of course, you can use any pasta you like, but the unique design in this pasta holds the cheese sauce really well. The pasta is included in the Smith's Buy 5, Save $5 Mega Sale for 69¢ through 1/9, and that is a stock-up price for sure! A few of the items you'll need to make this recipe are on sale at Smith's right now, and I have added them to a shopping list at the bottom of this post. Put this on your menu for this week. Your family won't be disappointed!
I LOVE the Private Selection Italian Trottole Pasta Noodles. The designer spirals, imported from Italy, are so shapely they don't need a lot of extra ingredients to shine through in a dish. The curls help them hold melted cheese and other sauces very well.
This recipe is simple, and first you will need to make a rue. Rue is melted butter, with flour and salt & pepper whisked into it. Then, you will whisk the milk into the rue. You will continue to cook and whisk the mixture on medium-high heat until the white sauce thickens. Then, melt your cheeses into the white sauce. That's it! Recipe below:
**Since, I personally am a no-grains, I have a killer Cauliflower Mac & Cheese recipe I make for me. Recipe HERE >>
- 1 package Private Selection Italian Trottole Pasta, 16 oz
- 4 TBS butter
- 3 TBS flour
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Fresh Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- Extra Shredded Cheddar Cheese for topping
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, then set aside. **Toss pasta with olive oil to keep it from sticking together!
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Over medium-high heat melt butter in a large sauce pan. Add flour, pepper and salt. Whisk together. Then add milk and whisk well. Continue to cook over medium-high heat, whisking frequently until the white sauce starts to thicken. Add all cheeses and whisk until melted and creamy. Take off heat.
- Mix pasta into cheese sauce. Top with the extra shredded cheddar cheese, and put the pan in the oven. Bake until bubbly. let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Top with bacon, parsley or any other toppings you'd like. Serve and enjoy!
Shopping ingredients on sale to grab at Smith's: