The following content may be sponsored or include affiliate links. View full disclosure.
This slow cooker pot roast was on the menu for dinner last night. I wanted to highlight it, because there is a stellar deal on roasts at the Salt Lake City Smith's stores. Through tomorrow (1/9), you'll find them on sale for $2.97/lb! Grab a roast for this week, or a couple to freeze and feed your family a delicious meal on the cheap!
Here's a no-fail roast recipe that literally falls apart every time. First, sear the roast on all sides in olive oil in a large saute pan. Then, put the roast in the crockpot on high. Using the same pan that browned the roast, add 1 can of Campbell's Golden Mushroom Soup, 2 packets of Lipton Onion Soup mix, and 10 ounces of water (use the empty can of golden mushroom soup for the water). Heat that in the saute pan, whisking until heated through and all the yummy drippings are blended into the soup. Then, pour the soup mix over the roast and cover with the Crock Pot lid cooking on high for 2 hours and dropping to low for the remaining 4 hours. Or, just cook on low for 8 hours.
Now, I personally do not use the packets of Lipton Onion Soup. I make my own homemade variety. The recipe is below, and you can choose to either make your own or use the packets. One recipe of the homemade onion soup mix is equal to ONE packet, so you will need to double the recipe for the roast.
- (1) 2-3 pound Boneless Sirloin Tip or Rump Roast (I used Sirloin Tip)
- Olive oil for searing roast
- Salt & Pepper for seasoning roast
- 1 can Campbell's Golden Mushroom Condensed Soup
- 10 ounces water (i just fill up the empty golden mushroom soup can)
- 2 packets Lipton Onion Soup Mix (I make my own, recipe below)
- 1/4 cup dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 TBS butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- leftover soup mix from crock pot (I like to strain mine in a fine mesh strainer)
- Liberally season roast with salt & pepper on all sides. In a large saute pan, heat olive oil and sear roast on all sides. Transfer roast to a slow cooker placed on high.
- In the same saute pan you seared your roast in, add golden mushroom soup, lipton recipe packets and water. Cook on medium-high whisking frequently until bubbly and heated through.
- Pour soup over roast in crock pot, and cover with lid.
- Cook the roast on high for 2 hours, and drop to low for the last 4 hours. Or, cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove roast from crock pot and cover in a bowl with aluminum foil.
- IMPORTANT: You MUST let the roast rest for 30 minutes before slicing!
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter and whisk in the 1/4 cup of flour.
- Strain gravy from crock pot through a fine mesh strainer into the butter and flour mixture.
- Continue to cook, whisking frequently until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and serve!